Comments about the Respect for Seniors ProjectStudents
- I have gained such a valuable insight and have learnt so much. This project has not only increased my knowledge on elder abuse and ways to prevent it but has allowed me to appreciate the essential need to respect and support all older Australians. You are benefiting not only elderly individuals but all members of our community with this work and I am pleased that I have been able to help.
- Working on the project was an excellent learning experience
- Your project has certainly made an impact on my life that will not be forgotten.
- I was awarded a High Distinction for the project so my sincere thanks to you for giving me scope to work on something so interesting. It was my interest in the project that allowed me to write something I was proud to submit.
- I feel privileged to have been given the opportunity to work with you on the research project. I think the work you are doing is wonderful and the future looks very exciting with new students to continue your research and the opportunity for two documentaries.
- The experience has been invaluable for me. I found the subject matter very difficult and quite disturbing at times but also very worthwhile. The project has given me the opportunity to reflect on how we treat others and how to bring respect into all facets of life.
- I have really enjoyed being apart of the respect for seniors project. The seniors I met were all really lovely people & I hadn't realized how vulnerable some of them can be. It's really made me think about this issue & possibly the direction I might take when I finish my studies.
- This is such an important issue I'd like to use it as the focus of my Masters thesis.
- I've got the go ahead for my Ph'd & it will be on this important issue. Ageism is something we really need to address.
- Since working on your project elder abuse and neglect seems to be the niche I am increasingly finding myself. At the back of my mind I am thinking of a fairly major research project but I need to get through my masters first before pitching the idea to anyone.
- I didn't realize till I became involved with this project that I use ageist terms in relation to older people. Now I think about what I say.
- Just a thought that popped into my head while researching for your project was the language used when referring to older members of the community. I got the impression that titles such as "Aged Care Services", "aged", "old" (as opposed to new or young) and "elderly" all seemed to have almost negative connotations. Whereas the term "elder" invokes someone who does not just need to be looked after (ie a burden), but someone to be looked up to based on his or her wealth of life experience. Just an idea for if you wanted to reframe how people in the community viewed elders (as opposed to elderly).
Members of local seniors service clubs, other seniors groups such as Independent Retirees Association, events such as Seniors Expos, Seniors Information Days, Forums, and other community events
- Everyone in our organisation is very in favour of the concept you are working on. The committee would like to look at more details & explore how we can show our support.
- This is so important & essential that it's tackled from a positive approach
- This is a very important project
- I thought this a very good website with lots of information. I especially liked the "true stories".
- So good to hear about this positive approach to a difficult issue
- This sounds as though it would be a rewarding project to be involved in.
- I'm glad you are doing something about this - it's really important
- I pray that your project will gather heaps of momentum - it is very important work that you are engaged in.
- Your website is great. Lots of information I've never thought about.
- We were happy to be involved in the project & are amazed about what can happen to older people & how important it is for this project to be addressing it.
- Had no idea it was so prevalent
- Never thought about it that way
- Didn't realise these things happen, I'm really glad you are working on it.
- These things are terrible. I can't understand how people can do it
- Never thought about it before .... guess I think everyone is a good person
- You don't need families like that ..... it's good they are getting some help
- This work is so important ... older people can be very vulnerable .... we need to know about this
- This project is really making a difference. Well done!!!
(Home and Community Care staff, pastoral care workers, council executives & staff aged care specialists, social justice consultants, executives in the elder abuse sector)
- This work is very important
- It is a vital topic that needs attention
- It's a difficult issue and an effective way to address it (the Respect for Seniors project)
- now I've heard about it I can actually think of situations that I probably hadn't noticed before
- Love the web site and the individual stories. I think what you are doing is really getting in touch with the emotions of elder abuse and that's coming through
- You've no idea how pleased I am to hear about your project - it's long overdue!!
- I'm so glad to have met you & heard about the project. So often I see situations that make me uncomfortable & now I understand why. Many of our potential customers are older women & the things I hear their adult children say to them .... They really are emotionally vulnerable & I think their kids know that! (Sales person for a retirement village)
- I congratulate you on your innovative work with this project -it is very important.
- The purple ribbon day service was a delight, so meaningful and an excellent example of honoring our seniors in our community and the application of ABCD principles of social inclusion. Well done, it was such a warm welcoming morning
- This project is doing a great job out there in the community. All the best with this important work.
- I concur with your view that the target group is hidden from view and the problem is more widespread than many people imagine. With the number of people over 70 of 12% and rising, your programs should be well received.
- All the best with this project. I'm very keen to run a community forum with your DVD. It's something that could be very beneficial for our local residents
- The need to raise awareness of abuse towards elders is now obvious & so effective to do this through respectful relationships. What can I do to help?
- Thanks for the update on your project. It looks an excellent initiative.
- Working on this DVD has made me think about how much I take my Mother for granted.
- It sounds like a fabulous project and it is very relevant to the learning and skill development of our students.
- I've had a look at the website and it looks really nice. I especially liked the poem. I thought it was both poignant and to the point
- I'm very interested in your project, please send more information.
- Good luck with the campaign. It's an important issue.
- You really are to be congratulated on such a fantastic project
- I am teaching a Master's class and am thinking of putting some of this into a case study for the students to develop a plan.
- I can honestly say that the DVD's are absolutely brilliant
- What a great website, it exudes happiness and for a challenging topic that's well done.
- I think the work being done in this project is excellent.
I will forward your message to our postgrads and I'm sure one of them will be interested - it sounds like an important project.
"All members of the Australian community would benefit from a greater understanding of how best to achieve respect for the older community... In the development of programmes and initiatives for older people in Australia one important theme has been missing... RESPECT."
McCabe, P, Mellor, D, McNamara, J, Hill, B (2010) Respect in an Ageing Society Research Paper. Benetas/Deakin University, Melbourne